Wednesday 28 August 2013

STEPS




Holding the side-bar ,as I stood still
thought of a the long drill

It is so tedious
to take the steps arduous

I began to count
till I lost track of the mount

going up the elevator is easier
but the flight up is busier

As I turned around
A grandma I found.

with eight decades and a  broad smile
she had the energy to walk a mile

In her wrinkled  finger
I found a clinger

"Come, its good for the heart"
winked she , step by step, a start.

Her laughter echoed
my doubts mellowed.

brimming with fun and humour
on top , in half an hour.

The journey I enjoyed 
my body , mind and spirit buoyed

The atmosphere atop was divine
surrounded by Gods nine

Grandma is right 
its good for the heart.

                                  -----------------------

The younger generation  prefers to take the elevator while our grandparents took the flight of stairs which kept them hale and healthy. Climbing the long stairs they made friends and with fun and laughter did not realize the hard climb. There is no short-cut to happiness and success. Life's journey is akin to taking the steps , each at a time , if you miss you will trip and come rolling down.



For : poetryjam

24 comments:

  1. :) very true no shortcut to happiness and life too is like climbing stairs with people who matter to us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Climbing stairs now is considered an uphill task but with the right company and a smile it is not at all difficult.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for taking us with you up these steps! And I like the grandma you have portrayed.
    Lovely photo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grandma , here, represents a life well spent , taking the steps even at the age of 80 yrs as she does not consider climbing steps of life as tedious or boring.

      Delete

  3. love the spirit of the poem....climbing steps becomes an enjoyable experience....

    ReplyDelete
  4. taking the stairs is an easy way to get our exercise...and it helps keep weight off....def i can see gramma or the representation of the narrator as gramma as well when all is said and done....

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoyed the contrast between the way the younger generation and the older generation makes the climb. We can definitely learn from our 'elders,' that there are benefits in doing it the slow way....both for companionship & health. Nice message at the end.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Grand ma's rock these days. I love the metaphor it portrays.

    Beautiful :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. The state of bliss is a road uphill that can be traversed only patiently. It becomes way easier if you have company to support you.

    Very nice lines, Kalpana.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the message in this poem - love the wise smiling grandma. A beautiful flight of steps in the photo, too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the way you have woven a message across in side a poem!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the way you weave message so beautifully in poetry!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautifully penned. Slow and steady step leads you to success.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I once walked a set of steps with my 2 year old daughter and an old lady. Your poem reminded me of that.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful picture, and so true. Stair-climbing is good for you. I remember in college there was a building with no elevators. Easy for some to get to class, others not.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I agree--taking the stairs is worth the effort--love how you wove this story, and turned it into joy :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Our grandmothers lived a much more normal existence.Nice photo!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I watched a television show last week that featured a house in Japan .. the exterior of which was a staircase, the full width and height of the home. The interior was equally amazing .. but what stuck with me was how the family used the exterior stairs as daily exercise. Yes, always worth the effort to use those stairs.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Very rightly said.... In our Country most of the Holi places are up the hill so we know how to get to GOD......... Its a lesson thought to us by our culture

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love the poem and the thought behind it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Grandmas are always right! :)
    Lovely poem!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Beautifully written
    But m told continuous stairs usage gives knee joint pain :(
    I hav it's history in family and stairs gimme knee pains ;( even if m young

    ReplyDelete
  21. True - it is good for the heart - both the climb and in connecting with God. Very nice.
    Suzy at Reflections of my soul

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is a wonderful message indeed. We should always do what is good for the heart. :)

    ReplyDelete

please show some love......