Sunday 1 September 2013

7 things I cannot live without

I am taking part in The Write Tribe Festival of Words 1st-7th September 2013.



Day 2

7 things I cannot live without.

Food , clothing and shelter were a primitive man's main concerns and a struggle to fulfill the basic needs. But in modern times, though these are very essential they are not hard to get. With the advent of time many other wants are added that they become necessities of life.

Prayer



Though not a very religious or a ritualistic person, every night , before retiring to bed I say a silent thanks to God for everything strewn my path and every morning I perform a small 'pooja' as advised by my mom-in-law.

A kiss or a hug to my child.




As a mother , I  feel incomplete without the physical contact and if I am a bit late to hug or kiss, I am reminded of it by the recipient. I feel happy and loved in return. It makes life worthwhile.

Specs



Without this aid , I am paralysed. The whole world is a blur. I need not say anything more.

Cell-phone/Landline.

This device is my Man-Friday helping me to keep track of my son , relay and convey messages to my hubby, to be in touch with my relatives and friends and most importantly be in touch with my mom. At the touch of a button , geographical distances shrink to put one face to face with the other. And as I write this post I have already received a SMS message my son informing me about his reaching safely to his classes ,a call to my childhood friend, a call to book my LPG refill. 

Calendar




This 12 page ready reckoner , as I call it, hangs on a nail on the kitchen door.The auspicious days of the festivals are always looked for but with the turn of the pages of the calendar I can tell my long my LPG gas cylinder gas lasts, the number of holidays my maid has taken, appointments of doctors and the list is endless. 

                                 

Newspaper


The crisp newspaper delivered at my door is a welcome partner along with hot tea and drives away the blues. Whenever I visit the dispensary , I am armed with lots of this reading material to while away the time till my turn comes.The old newspapers are spread on my kitchen top to prevent it from spoilage.My dustbins are wrapped/covered with old newspapers. ( I do not use polythene covers)This is my way of re-using/re-cycling  and its eco-friendly.

                              


Internet Connection


The internet connection is a boon allowing access to FB, blogging world and E-mail.Its the new line life of the modern world. I feel handicapped without it and whenever the wi-fi connection is down, my service provider never answers the calls for he knows he will at the receiving end of irate clients. But the payment collection is very prompt on the 10th of every month.

There are many more things which I cannot do without them but have condensed the topic ,keeping the theme of seven in mind. What are the things that you cannot do without, dear readers?






34 comments:

  1. This post was so cool, contemporary and am sure all readers of this post would have to completely agree with this particular list of seven things that they simply cannot live without...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for dropping by and appreciating it and these are the most essentials things after roti, kapda and makaan.

      Delete
  2. Wow! Your list seems to be exactly matching with mine. Though my ideal list if ever it can happen will be: Prayer & Meditation, Hugs and Kids from Loved ones, Music, Friends, a Samosa everyday, lots of sleep and WiFi. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Except Samosa everything matches your list. yes, sleep is very necessary.

      Delete
  3. I simply can't live without a hug ora kiss from my baby. She is my world and everything revolves around her. MY top of the priority list :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kajal, all mothers are the same. Hug and kiss their babies.

      Delete
  4. You are one loving Mom in addition to being a conscientious citizen Kalpana :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has brought a smile on my face increasing its face-value dear Sridevi.

      Delete
  5. absolutely necessary 7 articles.. make that a chat to my friends instead of the child and no specs, makes my list of unavoidables for the day to run smoothly without glitches :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are really lucky not to be dependent on specs. and of course a chat with friends is very refreshing dear.

      Delete
  6. Could relate to each and everyone of it, specifically the second one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes the child one is absolutely necessary and divine isn't it Jini?

      Delete
  7. The things you cannot live without! After reading it I thought you were relating my priorities. Kalpana, I loved reading this beautiful post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ushaji and glad to know about the sameness.

      Delete
  8. Almost everyone's list - in my case the reading spec.s :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes with age the specs are an integral part.Isn't it Suresh?

      Delete
  9. Your last one is the first in my list :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I feel lost without the internet connection... so much reliance on technology ... nice to know more about you :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes we are totally clueless without internet connection

      Delete
  11. Add Tea and Television from my side to your lovely list :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Cool list and I can relate to almost all!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. A very good list and I couldn't live without them either. Specs made me chuckle as that's so true - world as a blur for me too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. So true! I cannot move wo specs, wifi and reading:)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Same to same list for me too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. This would be my list of essentials too, minus the reading glasses though! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. and hope you never get to wear specs. They are a pain.

      Delete
  17. There are some in my list too...:) Well, can't live without talking my parents daily.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Most common is internet :P :P and the cutest was specs :D :D

    Richa

    ReplyDelete
  19. You combined the spiritual and the practical in a very effective way!

    ReplyDelete
  20. the post is so relative...the modern day problem is one could survive without the basic necessities but not without the many others alongwith the one's you have noted.

    you can check out my post here:-
    Karan - Grand Mother

    ReplyDelete
  21. Internet and Mobile and Prayers!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wonderful post! I'd have to add my morning cup of brewed Oolong tea when I awaken, after prayer/meditation. It's the little things like this that I am most grateful for each day. Thanks for sharing yourself with us!
    Penny
    http://pennymcdanielspiritualguidance.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  23. The first two were very touching, Kalpana. Sometimes we (no let me speak for myself) forget about those that really, really matter - God and family.

    ReplyDelete

please show some love......