Sunday 22 September 2013

repent.

image


weekend your post should begin with, And before I knew it, I had hit ‘Send’.



And  before I knew it, I had hit 'Send' button . I had typed out my leave letter, on my lap-top ,and the reasons for my absence from work. I immediately received a message on my cell-phone from Ananya Joshi, my HR Manager asking if I needed any help.

The Company car driver opened the door for me. The Yeshwantrao Chavan Highway is a boon to travel faster between Mumbai and Pune and vice-versa.
The scenic beauty along the highway is worth capturing on camera but right now my frame of mind was not focussed on the Nature's bounty but was a race against time to reach Mumbai to be with appa and amma.
 
Appa opened the door on the first ring of the bell. I noticed Amma with red swollen eyes and suppressed sobs sitting on the sofa. 

"Kaveri, stop crying" said appa. It was more of a command than a request.

I was confused and bewildered. 

"Appa, you said that there is a death in our extended family." It was a disguised question , imploring him to tell me of the deceased person's identity. Why were they keeping it under wraps?

Appa put his arm around my shoulders and dug his fingers and tightened the grip on my arm. I was taken aback by his physical intimacy .

"Your biological father expired today. We have to attend his funeral", said he.

My head spun and my mouth felt dry. I released myself from my appa's grip and sat down on the sofa with a thud.  




My biological father was a drunkard who abused his wife regularly and after my birth, the physical torments increased as he wanted a male progeny and wished to give me away to an orphanage. And in a fit of anger he hit her on her head. She succumbed to the injuries and the news was splashed across in the print media. I was three months old and placed under the care of a social organisation. Amma and Appa approached the social workers and thus I was adopted when my biological father gave up his rights on me. After my adoption they shifted to Mumbai from the city of Nasik to escape the media and social glare and kept the adoption, a secret from one and all including me. My biological father was given rigorous  imprisonment of 14 years and  on completion of his term he was a reformed man and returned to teaching. He kept in touch with Appa.

Just a day ago, he died due to cancer. 

After hearing the entire story , I asked Appa what was expected of me in the light of my new-found status.

We attended his funeral and returned to Mumbai the same day. Amma was still crying. I now realised the real reason behind her cries. I cupped my palms around her chin , wiped her tears and said , "Amma , you and Appa are my only parents and will always be. I don't care whether I am adopted or your biological child. You both treated me as your own and I reciprocate it."

I retired to my room after saying good-night to them. I sat on the window-sill as I had sat in my childhood days , stared at the stars and complained with tears in my little eyes that fate had been unkind to me. I have suddenly felt grown-up. Not because I am a score and three years old but all the rantings of the growing up years suddenly felt trivial and silly. Appa's strict upbringing and amma's worry to be home before sunset , the deadlines and dress code imposed upon me , makes me 'see' their love and care. Appa spared no pains when it came to education but was adamant when I decided to join the Company's branch for training and subsequent absorption at Pune. 

Peeling off the jaundiced layer of filament that has set on my eyes ,  I am now seeing things with a new perspective. I am now valuing and respecting their decision to adopt a murderer's child. If I hadn't found a loving home here , I would be languishing in an orphanage bereft of love and security. Now  as I look at the stars in the serene night , I have tears in my eyes to thank my fate. How lucky am I!





I said a silent prayer to my biological mother. May her soul rest in peace.

I started typing on my lap-top. I had a last look at it and with a satisfied smile I took a deep breath and before I knew it, I had hit 'Send' button.

I had informed Ananya Joshi about my decision to move to Mumbai and request for a transfer. I will stay with amma and appa to bask in their love , care and admiration.



This is a fictional story and any resemblance to real life story is pure coincidence. 

This post is a part of Write Over the Weekend, an initiative for Indian Bloggers by BlogAdda

18 comments:

  1. What a lovely story - so real too, Kalpana. Adopted children do go through a lot and adoptive parents have to learn how to walk with them through this time with love and care!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Adopted children must be told about their adopted status by their parents rather them finding out from some other source.

      Delete
  2. Kalpana, this is a very emotional story! Adopted children are really fortunate to have a house to live and adoptive parents to care for them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Ushaji. Adopted children are very fortunate if they get a home and parents but not all adopted children are matured enough to understand.

      Delete
  3. How lucky is the gal in the story... Maybe her moms death was a blessing in disguise.. afterall she owes this life to her death rt

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In a way , yes , Mina her mom's death hastened her adoption.

      Delete
  4. What an awesome story - you had me hanging onto every word. As Corinne said, adopted children go through a lot and if they are lucky to find loving adoptive parents then they are blessed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes they are indeed lucky to find the security of home and a loving set of parents.

      Delete
  5. A very nice story indeed, Kalpana. I can understand how much of responsibility adoptive parents have to raise adopted children. The kind of connect that can make. Glad that your protagonist has doting parents to take care of her :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The protagonist is lucky and realizes that she is one.

      Delete
  6. That's a wonderfully narrated story! Glad she took the step to spend time with her adoptive parents!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When she realizes that her parents loved and cared for her she took the right step of being close to them. All of us love to be with our loved ones , isn't it?

      Delete
  7. Kalpana ji, a very touching story it is. A friend has an adopted daughter who is just 7. She's always scared of the day her daughter gets to know of the truth. I have told her many a times that it'll be good if the child gets to know of it from her than from someone else. I feel bad to see her tense every time someone tells the kid, "Your complexion doesn't match with either of your parents." It's a tough situation.

    ReplyDelete
  8. beautiful story. At a time where biological children are abandoning and ignoring parents needs, it is wonderful to see the affection this couple share with heir adoptive daughter. lovely :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful and heart touching Kalpana... loved it a lot!!

    No wonder it had to be there :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such a beautiful story Kalpana and so sensitively told <3

    ReplyDelete
  11. Heartfelt appreciation on this, Kalpana. Really touching ! This story has many messages to convey - adoption, accepting people for what they are, loving your parents, taking care of your parents when they are old....so many messages woven into one ! :) Lovely !!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautifully woven story, Kalpana. I am glad she hit that sent button!

    ReplyDelete

please show some love......