Thursday 25 July 2013

THE ACT OF GIVING.

Give a man a fish and you feed him a meal but teach him to fish and you feed him for life.

                           


The above lines allow one to introspect and take a second look at the act of giving. The ongoing holy month requires a certain religious community to donate generously to the needy. Its a very noble thought and an action. If one is bestowed adequately, he has the option of sharing a part of his wealth with the lesser fortunate people.

When one gives to the other, the relationship of a giver and a taker is established. There is a wafer thin line of demarcation between help and charity. When do the two merge at what point or do they run parallel to each other?

                        

Let us differentiate between the two ,with examples :

An old man is sick,penniless and does not have a family. The Samaritans look after his needs : feed , clothe and take care of his medical needs. It is fully justified.

A Group of Samaritans provide two square meals to a slum colony. Some of the casual labourers take advantage of free meals and choose to abstain from work.
 Are the Samaritans right in continuing the 'good' work? 

When one extends aid , alms , help or charity, it is the right of the giver to see whether it reaches the proper recipient.

An employer keeps aside a certain amount every month for contributing to the fees and school requirements of her maid's child.This act of giving will enhance the future prospects of a less fortunate individual and a family.

Help need not always be contributed in the form of financial help. A person tutoring a group of children from intelligent but poor background is doing a yeoman service.विद्या दान , श्रेष्ठ  दान. 

(Imparting  knowledge is the highest form of donation)

Help a person to pull him/her  out of his pit of difficulties and not cripple him.The act of giving should be voluntary and from the heart.

May I know your views, dear readers?

FOR : ULTIMATE BLOG CHALLENGE DAY 26                   
UBC-bannerbox250



13 comments:

  1. This is one of my all-time favorite quotes, Kalpana. If only more people would be more generous about giving whole-heartedly with the intention of long-term benefits for the recipient, rather than a momentary "give"

    My teachers always come to mind with your quote. :-) Wonderful post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is one of my all-time favorite quotes, Kalpana. If only more people would be more generous about giving whole-heartedly with the intention of long-term benefits for the recipient, rather than a momentary "give"

    My teachers always come to mind with your quote. :-) Wonderful post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wish everyone understands this and imbibes these values in the future generations too.The joy of giving is beyond words. Beautiful thought. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The new generation does understand the intent behind helping and are implementing it too. There is hope. Thanks rekspoursout.

      Delete
  4. Oh yes I so totally agree with you... there are certain group of people who may need to be taken care of depending on their situations... that is why I clearly get angry when I see perfectly healthy people begging on the streets... I know I shouldn't judge them but still....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Echo your thoughts SuKu. Once I asked an able-bodied beggar whether he was willing to work and he ran out of my sight.

      Delete
  5. As a child I was often considered to be one of those who always just had to give money to underprivileged and so much so that I used to give away most of my pocket money. Then one day my father explained me this concept which took time to root but once it did, my ways changed :)

    Richa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I prefer to help the underpriviliged with food, clothes or books to needy students. But many prefer to give money.Don't know if it is put to better use?

      Delete
  6. I question I ask often whether I am promoting something wrong or helping people. So now I carry extra food in a cover whenever I can or keep half the juice in the bottle I have purchased and give it to those who seek alms and think If I could be so hungry, so often, wouldnt they be too?

    I am a bit skeptical to give money to anyone other than my maid.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perfectly right in doing so, Me.It's better to feed them then give money.

      Delete
  7. Each of us has something to give. Some have wealth, some have talents, some have time. Whatever gifts we have been given, large or small, we should share generously.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree with you Kalpana. Giving is basically a way to express gratitude to the lord that we can share something with somebody else. I think nothing beats generosity.

    ReplyDelete
  9. When one extends aid , alms , help or charity, it is the DUTY of the giver to ensure that the taker gets immediate, short-term and long-term benefit.

    ReplyDelete

please show some love......