Tuesday 8 October 2013

Zombie

This post is written for Trifecta Writing Challenge and includes the word ZOMBIE (noun)       :  a mixed drink made of several kinds of rum, liqueur, and fruit juice. 



I signalled to the bartender. Post sunset Joe's Pub was overflowing with drinks as well as his loyal customers. The pitch of the conversations was crossing the permissible limit and my ears threatened to explode. A copy of the evening newspaper lay on the bar-counter. I stole a quick glance at the headlines. A woman with a red bag was seen moving around the lake in a suspicious manner....................

The bartender stood within breathing distance.

"Your order, Sir" said he.

"One Zombie with ice".

                                                   


The colour of the drink did nothing to soothe my troubled nerves. It was the color of our wall of our bedroom.

Now the bedroom was empty just as my mind and heart. The bed-cover and the floral sheets reminded me of her. The crystal vase with red roses stood on the side-table mocking at me. They reminded me of her when she bit the corner of her lower lip. Angrily , she had packed in the red bag and left me after an acrimonious argument. It would be a torture to enter the house that would be bereft of her presence. Did she venture out close to the lake? My heart skipped a beat. Hastily , I gulped down my drink. The effect of the cocktail drink was immediate and the room started to spin.How did people manage to drown their woes into alcohol?  Her absence in my life made me more lonelier even in the crowded pub. Had I lost her forever? I wish I could apologize and bring her back.

The cell-phone in my trouser pocket rang. I fumbled and manage to retrieve it and glared at the screen flashing. My ears could hear the pounding of my heart. I answered and the voice at the other end ,"Darling , where are you?". My heart did a jig on my unsteady legs. I turned to the bartender, " One more zombie with ice please".

                                               


FOR : ULTIMATE BLOG CHALLENGE DAY 9





13 comments:

  1. One more Zombie and they'll be hauling him out on a stretcher!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice take on the prompt. Loved how you played with the readers' feelings for the protagonist :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kalpana, this is full of suspense. I felt goosebumps in my stomach, but felt relieved in the end. Best of luck for the contest.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is nice.The heady zombie seemed to have brought him luck and I hope he will be able to return home to his bed room to meet her waiting.Good wishes for the contest

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the line about the roses mocking him. Not sure he's going to find solace in more zombies poor guy! Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderfully written. I find it really fascinating that you have written it from a guy's perspective and it sounds so real.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad he got her back :) nice take on the zombie :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. A zombie even after the heart did a jig?!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my! Why another zombie? With another he won't make it out the door...they will be carrying him out. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  10. Poor guy. Well captured.. (RogRites)

    ReplyDelete
  11. The other Zombie for her , right?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Zombie with Ice??? awesome read

    ReplyDelete

please show some love......