Wednesday 27 November 2013

the boy

Write Tribe Wednesday Prompt - 27 November 2013
This week use the photograph below as your prompt. Write your thoughts, a story, a poem on your blog.




theboywt

credit: Morgue File (http://mrg.bz/jnYWqY)


He had come to say good-bye to me. He looked smart in his casuals and a satchel on his back.

He walked into my house of bricks and stone with his footwear leaving imprints of wet mud. He called out my name and I came running from the kitchen. Removing the satchel from his shoulders , he cupped his palms and said ."take , these are for you."
My eyes glistened at the sight of the big red , green and yellow marbles. I cupped my tiny palms and he poured them into mine with some marbles bouncing on the rough floor to roll away towards the corners of the room.

I saw him go but only for a moment and my sight and joy was concentrated in the cupped palms. Now I had so many marbles to play with.

But it was no fun playing all alone between 'my' house and the big yellow mansion where he lived. I longed for his company but in his company I had never won any game.

Amma told me that he had gone to a boarding school to study and become a 'big saheb' just like his father. I was happy for him. I wished he could take me along. Wish, I too ,  could study and play marbles in the evening with him. But amma sternly said that study is the prerogative of the rich and I should accompany her to help her to wash the dishes , in the big yellow mansion.

After a hard day's work , I had very less time to admire the marbles.



The marbles lay  in a pearl-pet jar just like my joys.


Later amma kept the marble jar in the cupboard away from my gaze.






Now I manage all the domestic work in the big yellow mansion. I light a small 'diya' in front of amma's photo and feel the marbles with my palms.  The red, green and yellow marbles are no longer big to my adult eyes and have lost the sheen. Yet in them I try to search for my lost girl-hood days that disappeared with the mud-stained feet.



There was a knock on my door. Who could it be at this time of the night? I adjusted my sari 'pallu' and opened the door. A man stood at the door, smiling. And when I lowered my gaze , I saw his cupped palms , full of glistening red, green and yellow marbles. He walked in with his footwear on. With the mud-stained imprint on the floor and the marbles in his palms, I have regained my childhood , my joys. 






                                               FOR : WRITE TRIBE






26 comments:

  1. This was such a beautiful, heartwarming take on the prompt. Loved the simple little emotions that this post stirred within my heart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jairam and emotions and joys are simple in childhood. Isn't it?

      Delete
  2. Lovely story warming the readers with softness for the hero.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kalpana... you managed to create a lump in my throat with this one. It was just so heartwarming.... so many emotions and harsh realities of life and finally a sweet note to end this tale :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Bhavya, life is harsh but it throws up little surprises and joys.

      Delete
  4. Awww...how nice is that...a beautiful story...

    dreams...memories....aspirations... Very nice :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Years later meeting in the same way... what a moment it must be! Beautifully narrated. Liked the detailing in the story too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved it Kalpana ji! Beautiful narration. The picture and the story have been woven so well. Wonderful attempt.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is so beautiful ... made me smile ... thanks a lot :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This one is such a heartwarming tale.. How wonderful it would be to meet in the same way like childhood! Lovely story.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love an ending that is full of love! Very sweet story!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Kalpana - I rarely get lumps in my throat when I read stuff, but this post was just incredible and heart-warming.Loved it!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. .............and its my pleasure to read these lovely words of praise. thank you very much.

      Delete
  11. Kalpana you have really creative!! Such a sweet story has been penned based on the photograph.Enjoyed reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a beautiful and heartwarming story!
    You have a way with words... Very well written! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sweet, mixed with emotions and yes a happy end. Loved it Kalpana :-)

    Richa

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a wonderful metaphor you've used with marbles. In the end, these should be accessible to everyone.....not impossible to reach. Beautifully woven!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Such a touching tale. Loved the way you described it all so well. Loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Simple...filled with emotions...and beautifully narrated :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Simple...full of emotions and beautifully narrated :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beautiful! :)
    Do check my take on the prompt here – http://wp.me/p2Aqoq-i5

    ReplyDelete
  19. I loved this beautifully narrated tale. How lovely he came back to her. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love the way you write. That was such a heartwarming tale. I do wish she had had a chance at a better life.

    ReplyDelete

please show some love......